- F18 E/F fighters currently cost $55 millon each. The early F35 B fighters cost $207.6 each for the first 32.
- One wing of 24 F18 E/F fighters costs $1,320 billion dollars while one wing of 24 F35 B fighters costs $4,982 billion dollars.
- Replacing F35 B fighters with F18 E/F fighters on the LHA class ships converted to CVA saves $1,320 = $3,662 billion dollars.
- Subtract cost of two internal combustion catapult aircraft launch systems, one waist and one forward at 30 million each for a total savings of $3,602 billion dollars.
- If RDT&E is included for the F35, then each F35 costs $304.15 million for a cost of $7, 299.6 billion and an overall savings due to substitution with F18 E/F fighters
of $5,979 billion.
- If ship redesign (to include an angled deck) from LHA to CVA costs $1.5 billion, then total savings due to the redesign is $4.479 billion dollars.
If it were possible to install EMALS aboard a CVA